Thursday, March 11, 2010

Simplicity

Below are guest reflections from Cherish who is a volunteer part of the Rice and Beans team.


SIMPLICITY: Those of us who live in wealthier nations often eat for pleasure and eat in excess. We are going to eat a nutritious and simple meal to give up on wasteful consumption.

I was excited to return to diet similar to what I grew used to while living as a Peace Corps volunteer in Mali, West Africa. Eating simply was the way of life and I couldn't imagine not being satisfied with what my host family worked for hours to fix in a huge kettle over a wood fire and were gracious enough to share with me day after day. Food was essential, but manners, conversation and blessings were the most important components of meals. Visiting the Philippines this winter reminded me of the joy of simple, communal meals. I hope that while I return to the simplicity I learned in Mali and The Philippines, I can focus my life here in America away from food and towards those I love, the world around me and my many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment