Monday, March 8, 2010

Spicy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup

I used this recipe as a template for a soup a few of us had last night and it was great! I made a handful of alterations based on what I had on hand and served it over rice to cut down how spicy it was.

Alterations:
1 can of Mexican green chili's instead of jalapenos
1 tsp fresh garlic instead of powder
1/2 the amount of chili powder (I ran out)
I didn't have cayenne so substituted it with couple shakes of red pepper flakes
Added some diced onion since I had it
Added 2 diced red potatoes partway through since I had them
I ran about half the beans/potatoes through a blender halfway through to thicken the soup

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Slow-Cooker-Black-Bean-Soup/Detail.aspx
Ingredients:
1 pound dry black beans, soaked overnight
4 teaspoons diced jalapeno peppers
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions:
Drain black beans, and rinse.
Combine beans, jalapenos, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Season with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Cook on High for 4 hours. Reduce heat to Low, and continue cooking for 2 hours, or until you are ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment