Monday, March 8, 2010

Solidarity


SOLIDARITY: We are standing with our brothers and sisters in East Africa who live on limited incomes and who can only afford simple meals like Rice & Beans.

Solidarity is an immensely powerful aspect of Rice and Beans Month. It's a tangible way to unite and create community across the expanse of miles, cultures and time zones. It allows me a small way from my kitchen in Portland to connect with other participants such as the Main's in Illinois as well as the Lahash partners in East Africa.

I used to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House here in Portland. Once a month for several years I would grab a group and go cook at the house for the families staying there while their children were treated for serious illnesses and injuries. We spent the time filling the house with laughter, conversation and sometimes tears in addition to food. I was always amazed at the connections that occurred over meals with people I usually had very little in common with. It was always a privilege to be allowed to glimpse into their lives and come alongside their struggles for even a moment.

It's this reason that I was particularly drawn to Rice and Beans Month. It's not just a campaign, but is a way for each of us to tangibly connect with a larger community. To connect and participate in something we say we care about. At the end of the month, what I've given up will go to providing much needed nutritional food to kids on the other side of the world.

This is why I'm involved in Rice and Beans Month.

We've created a map of the pictures we've received from participants. Take a look and make sure to send your pictures to us at info@eatriceandbeans.com, we'd love to include them!

No comments:

Post a Comment