Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another delightful Rice & Beans Month...

We are just hours away from the end of Rice & Beans Month. I was flipping through a magazine the other day filled with luscious photos of pizza, steaks, and ice cream - and needed to wipe the drool off the page a couple times.

I've been thinking a lot about food as "fuel".

Too often I merely see food as "fun" rather than "fuel". We are a society that has been on a steady track toward increasing gluttony - one of the seven deadly sins highlighted by the church for the past several hundred years - and condemned quite often in the Christian scriptures.

I came to a start the other day and realized a pretty sad state of affairs in my own life:

I generally eat what I want to - and eat more than I need
I gain weight because of my gluttony and lack of balance
The money that enables me to eat that food (that I don't need) could be directly used for people that are literally starving to death
So - I choose to get fat at the expense of my brother's and sister's starvation.

Yikes.

It is at those times I realize that I need saved - not just in a nebulous theological philosophical kind of way. My soul needs saved.

It's been another delightful Rice & Beans Month. One that impacts all aspects of my life and that I can truly say "That was worth it!"

My wife and I would like to make some changes in the way we live. Not that life should be purged of feasts, parties, and fun. But we are asking - what if we had a nice big meal once a week - instead of once a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment