Sunday, March 13, 2011

Devotional - March 13, 2011

Proverbs 15:15-17
“All the days of the afflicted are bad, but a cheerful heart
has a continual feast. Better is a little with the fear of the
LORD than great treasure and turmoil with it. Better is a
dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox
served with hatred.” (NASB)

Reflection
I love verse 17 and its “sister verse” in Proverbs 17:1. In my mind feasting is a festive, joyous and anticipated event. Family, friends, food…lots of food. Mmmm… But something often happens in my heart while I'm in the thick of preparations. I get weary, overwhelmed, and often even angry with the people I love the most. It's good to take a moment to reflect on this. I look at verse 15 and realize that my feast is in Jesus. He gives joy and my heart can be full to overflowing. Food is good. Good food is good. But love… joy… peace… patience… JESUS is better. What I'm eating and drinking is inconsequential to my feasting status when my heart is settled on Jesus. That's really cool. Friends, rejoice! Today we celebrate that Jesus has conquered death and redeemed a people for His possession. Today we feast. Better a plate of rice with the fear of the Lord than fortunes with trouble. Better a bowl of beans with peace than feasting with strife.
- India Main, Sponsor

For Kids
Think about the last time you went to a birthday party. I bet it was really fun, full of special food and games. But what would it have been like without special people there? Friends and family are really important at a party!

During Rice & Beans Month, it is easy to think about food a lot. But when we think about dinner tonight, let's thank God that he has given us such special people to share it with, no matter what we are eating. Being surrounded by people we love makes any meal a celebration!

1 comment:

  1. Only here (in Jesus) can I find the source of peace (of heart) i need to face the challenged of very difficult relationships.

    ReplyDelete