Monday, March 21, 2011

Devotional - March 21, 2011

Romans 5:3-5
“Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings,
because we know that suffering produces
perseverance; perseverance, character; and
character, hope. And hope does not put us to
shame, because God's love has been poured out
into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has
been given to us.” (ESV)

Reflection
I recently came across “confident expectation” as a definition for Biblical hope, which is vastly different from how I normally use the word hope. When I hope for something it's more often than not actually a wish or desire. I hope that traffic cooperates with my to do list for the evening or I hope the next ten days go quickly so I can eat the burger and fries that have been appearing in my dreams for the last week. Hope in Christ is infinitely more than a desire or wish. It's a confident expectation that we can trust in Him.

I don't think I would call our choice this month suffering, but I am positive we can have hope this month as we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who are suffering. I hope and pray that the sacrifices we willingly choose this month produce perseverance, character and hope within each of us in our communities and that in some small way it gives hope to our brothers and sisters truly suffering in East Africa.
- Erin Gleason, Lahash Volunteer

For Kids
When you play a video game, you know that the first level is usually pretty
easy. But the levels get harder and harder the longer you play. If we started
out playing the hardest level, many of us would probably quit right away.
But when we practice, we get better and stronger, and we are able to play
the harder levels. “Perseverance” means that you keep going even when
things are hard. The Bible tells us that if something is hard, like eating rice
and beans, God will make us strong. When we practice doing hard things
with God in our hearts, those hard things will become easier and easier! So
even when things are difficult or make you sad, God will be there to give
you the strength to persevere!

No comments:

Post a Comment