Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Devotional - March 15, 2011

Galatians 6:9-10
“Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we
will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we
have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and
especially to those who are of the household of
faith.” (NASB)

Reflection
My little 4-year-old body was shaking. Tears of exhaustion and frustration were gushing like a salty, mini-Niagara. Due to my wheezing and sobbing, I was making a noise that could only be described as “asthmatic walrus.”

Unleashing the unearthly audible power only a 4-year-old can muster, I screamed, “B-b-but…th-th-this…ISN'T…FAIR!!” I stomped my foot, both to emphasize the “rightness” of my point as well as imbue all humanity with my unimpeachable sense of absolute, distilled justice. Then I heard those words. I was looked straight in the eye and told, “You know what? Life isn't fair.”

My poor little brain imploded like a bad soufflé. Huh? What kind of lesson was that?! If life isn't fair, then what's the point? Why would I bust my hump, follow the rules, or do anything right or good at all just to watch injustice after injustice wash over an Earth where nobody gets what they
ought to have? No sir. I was not on board with that.

I was too young to realize it at the time, but the concept of “Not Fair” is the most beautiful gift God ever gave to us. Because grace isn't fair. Grace is the opposite of what we deserve; the opposite of what we “ought to have.” “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” Thank the Lord we don't get what we deserve!

The things of this life--the rewards, the pats-on-the-back, our perceptions of justice--are not the harvest we are called to reap. We are called to be the ambassadors of Christ here on Earth, and our reward comes in due time when we are delivered into the Kingdom of Heaven. Just the simple task of altering our eating habits will reap great rewards for those who are vulnerable, yet it can be a tedious and often tiring slog. But let us not grow weary in this life. In every opportunity, let us never tire of doing good to all people in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
- Todd Werkhoven, Lahash Volunteer

For Kids
I imagine that a lot of you may not be super happy that you have to eat
mostly rice and beans for a whole month. In fact, you are probably really,
really sick and tired of it! And that's OK. Even though you know that you
are doing a good thing, and that you are helping raise money for the poor
and needy, eating rice and beans for a whole month is definitely not easy
or fun! But God encourages us to keep doing good for other people even
when it is hard and tiring. He knows it is difficult sometimes, but He will
always bless us for doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment