Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Devotional - March 23, 2011

Philippians 3:7-9
“I once thought all these things were so very important,
but now I consider them worthless because of what
Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when
compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ
Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else,
counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and
become one with him. I no longer count on my own
goodness or my ability to obey God's law, but I trust
Christ to save me. For God's way of making us right
with himself depends on faith.” (NLT)

Reflection
We might be inclined to think...so, a whole month of rice and beans! That's impressive! I mean, who else in my church is sacrificing like I am?

Hold on! In this passage, Paul said he could out-match anyone with his list of religious accomplishments. Yet the things on his list were of no more value for improving his status before God than all the “flying toilets” in a Kibera slum! When compared to...CHRIST! Christ alone had made him acceptable in God's eyes.

Paul understood he was a debtor. His zeal no longer focused on how to impress God but on getting to know the One who had made him right with God.

What is our focus during this month of rice and beans?
- Ron Holcomb, Lahash Volunteer

For Kids
What is the best thing you have? Is it a special toy or some sports
equipment or a nice new dress? God's servant Paul looked at everything
he had, even the nicest things he had, and said that Jesus is so wonderful
that even his nicest things are like garbage compared to Jesus! Paul said
that even though those were good things that God had given him, he
wanted Jesus instead of the nicest things that ANYONE had! Draw a
picture of the best things you own, then draw a picture of Jesus. Would
you rather have the things, or would you rather have Jesus? Draw yourself
next to what you choose, then ask your parents to send your picture to
Lahash!

No comments:

Post a Comment