Monday, March 14, 2011

Nearly HALFWAY there!

Greetings friends around the world!
We are nearly at the halfway point for Rice & Beans month! It's been such a wonderful couple of weeks so far - I've personally been encouraged by hearing all of your stories. A couple ways to stay connected to people:

Twitter: Thanks to HungerIsGood and Panagotia for tweeting about the month!

Blogs: Check out Main St., The Ewens, the Haaks, and Rod & Lin Willett.

Facebook: Our facebook page now is facebook.com/eatriceandbeans

I appreciated the entry on the Ewen's blog recently:
"One thing that we've noticed about our dinners, is that even though they are tasty, and we all eat our fill, just a few hours later I find myself hungry again. And really hungry. I can just tell that there is something missing in my diet and my body is wanting more. It's one thing to talk about knowing people around the world need more in their diets, but it's completely different when you physically are experiencing it yourself. Kinda makes you wake-up to it even that much more. Cause I don't like that feeling of being hungry, not one little bit."
My wife Erin and I have also been cutting out snacks, so when it does come time for supper - we are really hungry. But when we are eating for fuel instead of pleasure we find that we eat just about the right amount until we are hungry at the next meal time. But that hunger as we approach meal time helps me center my thoughts on our brothers and sisters in East Africa.

she continues
"After watching this video, spending time soaking my beans, and eating (many times overcooked) rice for 31 days seems like a privilege, not a sacrifice."

"...This was after a dinner conversation that was sparked by one of the LAHASH videos featuring a little boy who was saying "thank you" for the food that was given him this last year. He could now eat 3 meals a day. My kids were a little slack-jawed when I pointed out that 3 meals a day now means that he ate less than 3 meals a day before."
"I think the little boy smiling at them from the computer and talking from the other side of the world and saying "thank you" with a giggle and smile was more impacting to my kids than "eat your rice and beans because there are other little children starving in Africa who would be glad to have them" speech."
This past weekend my family (made up of Holcombs and Cooks) celebrated our March birthdays (we have 5 in March!).
Our family got super creative and made a variety of foods for the party including Garbanzo bean crepes and birthday cake - along with sticky rice with coconut milk. We had lots of good discussion about how the month was progressing. My brother Doug mentioned that he and his family are thinking of incorporating much of Rice & Beans month into their daily lives. The simple economical nutritious meals just make sense. Here are some pictures of our event...







No comments:

Post a Comment