Saturday, March 19, 2011

Devotional - March 19, 2011

I Peter 4:8-9
“And above all things, have fervent love for one another,
for love will cover a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to
one another without grumbling.” (NKJV)

Reflection
For anyone who has studied a new language, trained for an athletic event, or undertaken a new venture that requires time and determination, there eventually comes a point when the question arises, “what was I thinking!?” Wouldn't it be easier to quit now and avoid the pain of practicing one more set of verb conjugations? Wouldn't it be easier to sleep in this morning and forgo the six-mile run?

Thankfully, God is able to use these experiences to mature us and remind us of His greater call for our lives. Peter's words in this verse both challenge and encourage us to love others with the same intensity as a runner who is pushing himself beyond what his body is capable of. The word “fervent” means “to be stretched” or “to be strained.” Just as you are stretched to meet your personal goals, are you stretched to love others? Do you allow your love of God and others to be the motivating factor when life causes you to make sacrifices that would otherwise cause complaint?

The Greek root of “hospitable” means “love of strangers.” I love this! Were we not strangers to God before He called us to himself? And are our sins not covered over by the depth of Christ's great love and sacrifice? It's exciting to me that we're invited to share and extend this kind of love to others. Keep fighting the good fight and remember Him who paved the way so you could.
- Faye Meyer, Lahash Sponsor

For Kids
When I was growing up, I had a pet dog named “Spud.” I loved Spud so
much. But I didn't always love taking care of her, because it was hard
work. Going out in the cold and dark and rain to feed her, giving her baths,
and picking up her messes in the yard wasn't very fun at all. I would
complain a lot. I would be a “Grumble Grub.” But by taking care of Spud, I
was showing her a lot of love. It was always worth it, even if I didn't like it!
Jesus says to love everybody all the time without being a “Grumble Grub.”
God loves us so much more than we can imagine, and He tells us we are
worth it! And He wants us to share His love with the people around us,
because they are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment