Friday, March 11, 2011

Devotional - March 11, 2011

I John 3:16-20
“We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his
life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our
brothers and sisters. If someone has enough money to
live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows
no compassion–how can God's love be in that person?
Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each
other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions
will show that we belong to the truth, so we will be
confident when we stand before God. Even if we feel
guilty, God is greater than our feelings, and he knows
everything.” (NLT)

Reflection
I used to feel guilty when I read verses like 1 John 3:17. How many times have I walked by my brother and sister not seeing, or choosing not to see, their need? Too many to count. I live an affluent life simply by being an American. My home is warm. I can afford to feed myself and my dog well. I have a consistent income that allows me to purchase far beyond my need. I wanted to help my brothers and sisters, but I often wondered how, when, and what's the best use of my resources.

I've since learned more fully that God first calls us to be loved, before he asks anything else of us. I first must know who I am in Christ. I am a child of God. I am loved. Jesus gave up his life for me. Others see Christ through me. It is a state of being. A state of acceptance and presence. When I fully embrace my true identity then I know how to love without needing to know all the answers. My possessions are not my own. My body is not even my own. My ability to love is not my own. Christ loves through me, simply by me being exactly who he created me to be.

When I went to Tanzania this summer, I struggled with how to share with others my motives for going. I did not go to share my profound insights on Christ. I did not go to help them solve or fix broken things. I took myself, a child of God, and shared time and space with my Tanzanian brothers and sisters. I chose to be present with them and in return they were present with me. I am not always good at being present or accepting that I am loved, but I'm learning. The more that I learn, the better I am at loving my brothers and sisters in need.
- Erin Weiss, Lahash Volunteer

For Kids
Here is a make-believe game to play with your family or friends:
A man called Rich Ronnie is walking down the street, and Rich Ronnie
has so much food that he is even throwing some of it away after taking
only one bite. Then he sees a man named Poor Peter, and Poor Peter is so
hungry that he wishes he could even eat the food that Rich Ronnie is
throwing away. Rich Ronnie sees Poor Peter, but doesn't care that he is
hungry, and keeps his food for himself. Is Rich Ronnie being like Jesus? Is
Rich Ronnie showing love? Play the game again, but this time, choose a
different way for Rich Ronnie to act, a way that shows the love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment