Friday, March 4, 2011

R&B for the office or for emergencies or, y'know, whenever

Being a single person on the go can be tough during Rice & Beans Month. As committed as I might be to cooking rice and beans for dinner at home (that commitment may or may not come from having removed all other food types from the house), when I'm flying out the door late in the morning, I don't always have time to stop and think about what I'll eat for lunch. Or those evenings full of meetings which cause me to reach home late with barely enough energy to think "rice and beans," let alone cook it.

Now, a solution!

This morning as I browsed the rice section of Trader Joe's, I noticed the pre-cooked portions of brown rice which only require re-heating. Next to that section was one of pre-cooked beans which only require reheating! Hurrah!

The serving size on the rice says 3.5 servings (yeah, maybe if you're also eating a baked potato and some steak with it), and the beans says it has 2 portions. After the combined re-heat time of 2.5 minutes, I was ready to eat! It smelled amazing, and looked...well, it looked brown, like most food we eat in America.


I have now eaten about 70% of the meal, and it tasted pretty good. The spices on the soybeans were a little intense after the more simple versions I've been eating, but it has totally filled me up with leftovers (and I tend to eat gigantic portions of rice and beans), and all for only $2.68, which, overall, is not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment