Saturday, March 12, 2011

Devotional - March 12, 2011

Philippians 2:3-4
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not
looking to your own interests but each of you to the
interests of the others.” (NIV)

Reflection
Rice & Beans Month is a great time to share meals together, so I thought it would be nice to invite some old friends over for dinner.

Vanity arrived early (which I was very impressed with). I half-expected Selfishness to show up with a burger and Coke (he knows how much I love them). But he politely sat down to a plate of rice and beans while remarking about how good it feels to be doing something so important. Humility was a little late, and honestly I forgot I had even invited him. He reminded me that we had talked briefly about sharing our meals together this month. It sounded vaguely familiar.

As we ate, Vanity paused between mouthfuls to tell me that I can make anything taste amazing. Selfishness just pushed his beans around while assuring me that my sacrifice this month was terribly impressive. Humility didn't say much during the meal, but thanked me sincerely when he finished. When he did speak, he reminded us of the kids in Uganda and of God's provision for them. He asked me if I would tell some stories about the generosity and hospitality of my friends in Tanzania. Vanity was obviously uncomfortable and tried to quickly refocus the conversation back around me.

When we finished the meal, Selfishness offered us all cookies for dessert (now that's the Selfishness I know!). As we were all picking out our cookies, I noticed Humility was gone and that all of our plates had been cleared. He was in the kitchen washing the dishes. When he saw me step in, he asked if I would help him dry them. I set my cookie down and picked up a towel. We talked about East Africa and God's love. I felt full. Not so much from the rice and beans but from something else. I'm hoping Humility and I can become better friends this month. I'm not so sure about Selfishness and Vanity though. We used to have so much fun together, but lately we've been feeling kind of distant.
- Casey Schilperoort, Media Director

For Kids
There are many ways that you can practice humility today. You can share
(or give away) a favorite toy or book when someone else wants it. You can
offer to wash the dishes or set the table (without even being asked). When
you're waiting for a turn on the slide or swings at the playground, you can
let a friend go before you. Look for ways to serve and love the people
around you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment